Tuesday, December 2, 2008

GRILL

I took this on a drunken night outside of a really cool bar called "The Gutter" in Brooklyn, NYC. It was raining lightly, and the chrome of the bumper reflected the blue sky above. The black of the body blends into the darkness of the street. It reminds me of something by Weegee (Arthur Fellig). Thanksgiving Day Parade. The one with the cab and the wet street. It's obviously not nearly as good, but I kind of get that feeling in the reflected blue sky. And I wonder what his pics would have been like if they'd been in color. I've certainly been influenced by him and Robert Frank. Hopefully I'll one day have something that comes close, but then again, there are so many artists operating in the same vein that my pieces probably won't make even the smallest ripple.

That said, as an image it's not much. There are plenty of pictures of cars that have interesting features. But I think it has an interesting feel to it. And I like it myself. It was a good night. I had fun. I felt alive. That's what it means to me.

No comments: