Saturday, November 15, 2008

Quite a few of the photos I take involve mannequins and store front windows. I'm not just recording already created or "found" images though (although I do have to credit the people who've put the windows together), I'm building upon what's already there.

I like the way that the reflections on the glass work with the images inside the window, and depending on where you move the camera you can dramatically alter the design. In a way, depending on how you shoot it, you're entirely changing the idea that the store-front designer created and writing your own story.

Finally, there's usually a great complexity that's achieved. Certain parts of the shot become little stories of their own (the word vignette popped into my head but I don't think that's quite the right usage). And they become layers to the greater piece. Of course, in the end it's just another store-front window, and if you show too many of them together they start to loose their charm.

No comments: