Friday, January 30, 2009

Kensington by night

I've half-heartedly started working on a photo-essay of Kensington, the neighborhood where I'm living. It can be interesting at times, but I just don't think I have the time to do it justice. That would require spending a lot of time going to events and trying to get to know the people, and I just don't think I have it in me.

I do, however, like some of the photos I get at night, when evening drops a veil over everything, and the lighting makes everything seem a little more exciting, kind of like a lit stage.

In this photo, the boarded-up house would just be another boarded-up house (and believe me, there are plenty), but here it kind of becomes just a little more interesting. The shakiness, I think, helps. Even though the scene is empty, this can be a scary neighborhood at times. And although I'd like to photograph THAT, to be honest, I just can't cut it. I'd be robbed, or beaten, or killed. Maybe all three.

No comments: